Friday, January 8, 2010

James 4:4

I'm getting back into the Word after an absence of "some time" with a planned study on the book of James. This is one of my favorite books and I'm quite familiar with it. Even so, I'm struck - as I always am - by the freshness of the content. The Bible never gets old.

So it should never come as a surprise when I read a familiar verse and it speaks to me with a new voice.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
Adulterers and adulteresses; that is pretty plain language. Friendship with the world (6) is faithlessness to God.

In practical terms, what does it mean to be a friend to the world? I suppose Christians will decide for themselves, but I think a few areas that deserve consideration are entertainment (movies, music), books, language and dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment